Nadia BassettAll things Digital: Strategy | Communication | Client Whisperer | Social Media | Project Management
I named my company TLATSOI – an acronym for “The Long And The Short Of It” – because I like to get to the bottom line and get things done. Crossing the t’s and dotting the i’s pleases me.
I strive to work on results-oriented, customer-centric projects, where I can utilize my fifteen plus years of focused experience in communications and project management; turning strategy into tangible delivery. My approach encompasses developing and taking strategic marketing direction to concrete deliverables that yield optimal business outcomes.
Need something created, guided, organized, managed or put back on track? I get things done.
What are your clients thinking? More importantly, what are they saying? I care, and I do the research.
Software or programs won’t co-operate and no time to figure it out? I offer one-time and ongoing support packages.
These are my top 5 themes according to the GALLUP CliftonStrengths assessment. I concede it’s pretty accurate.
People who are especially talented in the Strategic theme create alternative ways to proceed. Faced with any given scenario, they can quickly spot the relevant patterns and issues.
People exceptionally talented in the Activator theme can make things happen by turning thoughts into action. They want to do things now, rather than simply talk about them.
People who are especially talented in the Individualization theme are intrigued with the unique qualities of each person. They have a gift for figuring out how people who are different can work together productively.
People who are especially talented in the Achiever theme have a great deal of stamina and work hard. They take great satisfaction from being busy and productive.
People who are especially talented in the Responsibility theme take psychological ownership of what they say they will do. They are committed to stable values such as honesty and loyalty.
Traditional Resume and References
WORK PROJECTS and FUN STUFF
- Delivered the Oprah Magazine’s “Find Your Balance” women’s workshops and project managed as well as the winner’s trips to the Oprah Show in Chicago
- Selected as 2005 Sanlam and SABC/3 Talk National Business Owner of the Year September Winner
- Featured in Oprah Magazine – read “A Brilliant Short Story” here
- Relaunch of the TELUS Cloud & Managed IT Services segment
- As Senior Product Owner, I project managed the migration and relaunch of the TELUS Business website, the development of a quoting tool for a key product, and the enhancement of the content management system
- Project managed the development and hosting of webinars for The Mentors Circle for Canadian Women In Technology
- Delivered digital production planning, including website marketing and social media activities, for e-books on Canadian peer mentoring for business owners, sales professionals and entrepreneurs
- Successful program managed the launch of NDEAM (National Disability Awareness Month) Canada’s “Hire Awareness” campaign with the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario
- Developed Environmental Education Programs for The Ministry of Education in South Africa and Old Mutual United Kingdom
- Project managed scoping and delivery of complex large scale web-based tools for financial services industry; online calculators, self-serve web environments which included personal assessment tools and dynamic interactive surveys
- Co-wrote and produced the short film “Underwritten” during the 48 Hour Film Project. Underwritten won 3 awards.
SKILLS and ABILITIES
- Passionate self-starter that can adapt and work well with ambiguity
- Unapologetically dedicated to inclusive design
- Excellent analytical skills – ability to re-orientate plans quickly given new information, and confidently make decision
- Ability to influence a broad spectrum of stakeholders to gain alignment on product vision and roadmap
- Proven ability to write user stories and groom and prioritize a backlog
- Highly organized individual with ability to prioritize and handle multiple tasks and deadlines
- Strong leadership, facilitation, and mentoring capabilities
- Innovative thinker with broad industry knowledge
- Hands-on experience leveraging Waterfall, Scrum, Agile, Lean, Lean UX, Kanban and a combination of those
- Customer-facing product experience, including customer research, customer interviews, design thinking
- Usability and Customer Validation principles
- Excellent communication, analytical skills, and ability to develop relationships with key internal and external contacts
I use a multitude of awesome apps and browser extensions. Here’s some of the tools I use most regularly
- Microsoft products
- Adobe Analytics
- Axe by Deque
- Google Analytics
- Google docs
- Wireframing software
- Vision Critical customer intelligence platform
- WordPress + WordPress plugins
- Toptal Colorblind Web Page Filter
- Image Alt Text Viewer
- SEO Inspector
- WAVE accessibility evaluation
- Tomato Timer
1995 - 2015
Senior Product Owner role and responsibilities:
- Through collaborative methods, define strategic vision for the B2B product
- Develop & execute dynamic web strategy
- Online campaign enablement
- Ensure a customer-centric experience
- Consistently monitor adoption & engagement metrics
- Work across a broad stakeholder community
- Implement and evolve adoption of Lean & Agile thinking and practices
- User research, design thinking exercises and work with design partners to create wireframes and prototypes
- Coach junior members of the team
The Mentors Circle for CanWIT (Canadian Women In Technology)
- Design and production of webinars for The Mentors Circle for CanWIT (Canadian Women In Technology).
- eBook project management with Elizabeth Verwey – concept, design and production of the website as well as marketing, social media and the technical publishing of the eBook.
National Disability Awareness
Project and campaign management for standing up NDEAM (National Disability Awareness Month) for Canada’s “Hire Awareness” campaign – working with the Lieutenant Governor of Ontario, The Honourable David C. Onley
TLATSOI and Unjani Communications – owner
TLATSOI Events Management (Events Management Company – Southern Africa and Europe)
- Developed and grew my events management company from a team of 1 (myself) to 8 full time staff and a sizable compliment of part-time support staff, operating on a national and international basis.
- TLATSOI was considered one of the top Event Management Companies in South Africa and we hired interns from local colleges to assist with their onsite training and development.
- Assisted blue chip clients to achieve their business objectives and PR targets. In our first year (2007) of working with our top client (a division of a blue chip company), they grossed a higher PR value for a single event we orchestrated than their entire group did for the year. Please see the client reference letters at the end of the resume.
- Managed annual project budgets of over $1 million for clients and was most often the client’s representative to not only the vendors, but also the media, PR and Advertising Agencies, sponsors and stakeholders.
- Instituted socially responsible procurement for our clients – we found and nurtured community based projects to help them create quality products and services that our corporate clients could use, thereby growing the community projects and ensuring our clients became valuable contributors to the South African disadvantaged society.
- Assisted select blue chip clients listed on the UK and South African exchanges with strategic planning in addition to providing the full events management services.
- Events ranged in size from small groups (high level top executive team building and strategic planning sessions) to thousands (company launches and staff functions).
- The nature of the events included; team building, conferences, strategic planning sessions, fundraising events, road shows, activation campaigns, online events, banquets, gala dinners, awards functions, training sessions, client appreciation events, product launches and many more.
Old Mutual – Marketing Consultant
- Developed and set-up their online presence and traditional marketing collateral production
- Project management of product launches; worked with the actuarial and legal teams on product and material development and arranged client and intermediary functions
Various contracting roles (South Africa & Europe)
- Financial Administrator for Peninsula Times and Newspaper Leaflet Distributors, divisions of NasPers Newspaper Group (3 years 1992 to 1995).
- Admin, PR and sales for Courtis Rutherford & Sons (we launched the Juta Electronic Online Encyclopaedia – the first CD ROM based Encyclopaedia).
- Sales, marketing and admin for a golf pro shop in Antwerp, Belgium
- Served as chairperson of Pupils United for Peace and Awareness (P.U.P.A) – an anti-Apartheid high school student organization in South Africa actively involved in spreading awareness of atrocities and in combating segregation.
Nadia is a dedicated, strategic go-getter who can mobilize team members to deliver quality deliverables within tight timelines. Her knowledge of digital, thought-leadership, content and demand generation coupled with tight project management skills were critical as we overhauled our B2B website and optimized content for 100’s of products to mobile ready, SEO enriched format in less than 6 months. She is an asset to any organization she supports.
Nadia is a passionate and engaged individual. She has a strong desire to make sure that customer experiences are exceptional and is personally invested in ensuring positive outcomes. Knowing that Nadia was working on something meant a great deal of assurance that the work would be completed on time and with quality.
I had the pleasure of working with Nadia on several projects over many years. I found her to have a very clear and concise idea of what can and should be done and achieved. Her project management and people skills are exemplary and she constantly pushes people to deliver results to the same standard that she sets for herself. Nadia loves to learn and is always open to new ideas and different ways of improving things. In short, I would not hesitate to recommend her as a valuable addition to any team.
Nadia is knowledgeable, efficient, cooperative, creative, helpful, reliable… she delivers on schedule and truly, is everything you want in an independent worker. She supported our team on a specific technical project and was a huge asset.
Our wonderful Spoken Lives website was set up by Nadia in 2015 and she continues to maintain and improve it. We have been delighted with her services! Quick response times and Nadia has also offered ideas that have thrilled our followers. Thank you, Nadia – for making us look good, online!
The Long And The Short Of It
I will always insist that we...
- always put customers (end users) first because they pay the bills and deserve respect
- ask customers what they want and need, regularly
- address customer needs and ask them if we’re meeting their expectations, consistently
- make everything fully accessible #designforall #inclusivedesign #a11y
- measure what we do so we can learn and adapt
- re-assess and measure again and again and again
- treat external vendors and agencies with respect
- have an open mind to new ideas and are willing to take calculated risks
Don't hire me if...
- you are looking for a cookie-cutter project manager who only does what’s on the to-do list. With every project there’s always challenges and opportunities that pop up just begging to be explored.
- you want someone to be physically in-office all the time. I get things done when you’re sleeping or playing with your kids/dogs, sometimes because I am in a different time-zone, and sometimes because I wake up at 3am with a solution to a problem we’ve been trying to solve. I work remotely mostly. Hangouts/Facetime/Skype works just fine and the occasional physical meeting is great too if it makes sense.
- you’re planning on letting deadlines slip – I don’t miss deadlines unless the whole project has to unavoidably shift. I do what it takes to get it done, on time.
- I am not able to shrug off or explain away disrespect, apathy or discrimination in any form.
- I am not someone who “works nights only from my basement”, but sometimes I do, and it’s not to make the team feel bad – it’s because it works for me and therefore for the project.
- I am a coach who prefers to teach and grow people. If I am not teaching, then I am also not learning and growing.
Hire me if you are looking for a mutually rewarding partnership based on results and respect.